Babcock Ranch covers 91,361 acres of pine woods, cypress swamps, marshes and grasslands in Lee and Charlotte counties. Its 143 square miles harbor panthers and black bears among other animals.
The land is considered a vital link in replenishing Southwest Florida's freshwater resources. Babcock ranch photos…
The last chance to save Babcock
As you know, Kitson and Associates has submitted a Comprehensive Plan Amendment to the Charlotte County Commissioners. The Comp Plan Amendment includes 8 villages, one of which is the Town Center with 7 additional commercial centers, supporting a population of 42.888. From the Charlotte County Comp Plan Amendment, Kitson and Associates is proposing for Charlotte County:
"The Project is to be built over a period of twenty-one years beginning in 2010 and finishing in 2030. The Project will consist of single family, mutli-family, retail, office, and industrial space. In addition, 72 holes of golf, and 600 hotel rooms are planned for the community."
Five things you can do now:
1. Write and call the Lee County Commissioners and let them know:
* You support the acquisition by Lee County of all the Babcock Ranch lands in Lee County by any available legal means
* You support the Commissioners in retaining the current Lee Plan with no increase in density
* You support Lee County holding full ownership rights to all Babcock Ranch lands purchased with Lee County funds
2. Write and call the Charlotte County Commissioners and let them know:
3. Volunteer to staff an information table. Upcoming events include: Pumpkin Fest on Oct. 22 in Alva, and events at Florida Gulf Coast University and Edison College on Nov. 2 and 3. Contact Liz Donley at email@example.com to volunteer.
4. Print out the attached file (in MS Word) which is Answers Questions about the Babcock Ranch Sale and distribute it to other residents of Lee County.
5. You can still donate your time or money! To volunteer you time, please contact Scott Estabrook at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To donate money go to the Southwest Florida Community Foundation website: http://www.floridacommunity.com/
OR send a check to: Southwest Florida Community Foundation, 8260 College Parkway, Suite 101, Fort Myers FL 33919, write "Babcock" in the memo line.